Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Quote: Sandro Rosell

"My doctor has forbidden me to talk about Barça."


Sandro Rosell,
Barcelona presidential candidate



read more election quotes here

The Pundit: Miguel Rico on Laporta era



« Over those seven years, it's true, FC Barcelona has won all the titles that they could win but, almost at the same speed, the president has been losing the essence of everything for which he was elected. »


Miguel Rico,
El Mundo Deportivo




Godall chosing campaign songs

Through his personal Facebook page and that of his campaign team, Barcelona first vice-president and presidential candidate Alfons Godall is looking for songs that could liven up Godall's campaign events in the coming months.

One song that has already been selected is "Viatge a Ítaca" in the version of Catalan singer Beth (video above). The song was originally written in 1975 by Catalan singer-songwriter Lluís Llach based on a poem by Greek poet Kavafis that was inspired by the homeric return journey of Greek mythic hero Odysseus to his home island.

Other songs that certainly will be used during the campaign of the vice-president are "We Are the Champions" and "Viva la Vida" by British rock bands Queen and Coldplay. Godall also said that he would like to add one of his personal favourites, "You Got It" by American singer-songwriter Roy Orbison.

And after Godall appeared on Monday for the first time in "Crackòvia", a popular sketch comedy program on Catalan television channel TV3, he suggested that it might be an option to also include "Simply the Best" by American singer Tina Turner (video below, from 2'15").

Read more:
Godall: "I have a great feeling of relief"

How much will the elections cost?

The cost to organize the elections for president of FC Barcelona in June will be a little less than one million euro.

This number was announced during a press conference that was given last week by Barcelona economic vice-president Joan Boix and Barcelona chief executive Joan Oliver about the financial situation of the club.

Read more:
Plan for internet voting rejected
When will the next president take office?
Elections will be held on Sunday 13 June

Laporta: " 'More than a club' is not just a slogan"

Barcelona president Joan Laporta gave an interview to Catalan newspaper Avui.


You were deeply moved at the presentation of Alfons Godall as presidential candidate. Friendship aside, did you also see the event as the beginning of your goodbye?
No, it was basically because of friendship, he's a friend who has taken an important decision. But also because, as Xavier Sala said very well, I want the dream to continue to be a reality, that this model that has made us be recognized as the best club in the world and this period that is being the best in the history of Barça can go on.

He is someone who has always been there with me. It was a mixture of the respect I have for Alfons Godall and the fact of seeing him, who is for me the most suitable candidate, take this step and to show a lot of courage.

Do you picture the final stretch of your mandate in a special way?
I take things day by day, but if I take some distance, I see a lot of good football, a lot of those games that the Barcelona fans like. And as we want this era of success to continue, I would also want, with the elections coming up, that the candidate show their responsibility.

I do not think that anyone would dare to do things that could harm the team, although with the choice of the date I also think that we have made things clear now. As for me, I take everything that comes with the peacefulness of knowing that the end is near.

Looking back at your time at the club, what are you most proud of and what are you least proud of?
Especially of the sporting decisions. To have appointed Txiki Begiristain as sports director. We also have always had very clear ideas and we have defended them in the most difficult moments, which is also when we have learned the most. We had decided to change things completely, and we did it.

We have recovered the Catalan identity of Barça, and the most Catalan Barça in history is also the most global one. As you can understand, I'm very proud about that. We have made it very clear that 'more than a club' is not just a slogan but a declaration of principles.

Those who wanted to change us in just another club should re-think things because we became the best club in the world defending to be 'more than a club' because of our football, cultural and solidary identity. Because there's also the Foundation, a pillar of the club. The soul of Barça can only be understood through the Foundation, that is developing those programs to support the most vulnerable children.

We have a team of people who believe in these ideals. With the director of the Foundation Marta Segú, chief executive Joan Oliver, sports director Txiki Begiristain, the executive of the football area Raül Sanllehí, the squad led by Pep Guardiola now and Frank Rijkaard before. And the board colleagues, especially those who helped me to lead the way.

We also asked also what you're least proud of...
Of not having won more titles. I think we still could have won more. Apart from that, although we are broadly recognized by the fans and despite all what we have done, we haven't been able to achieve that the closest part of the entourage, the part of the opposition that always has to be there, the part of the media that always has to be critical, almost by nature because another group isn’t, we haven't achieved that they would overcome, so to say, their obsession.

There are people and media that have taken such a position that they cannot say anything good about what we have done in seven years. Those people need to get a check-up. Of course we have also made mistakes, but to take positions that are so radical, so visceral, seeing all those favouritisms, personal interests and in some cases obsession... As things have gone, I don't say there should be unanimity, but we should have had another kind of relationship with these people.

this was the first part of this interview. you can read the second part here.

Read more:
Laporta: "We need someone who's able to resist"
Poll result: Can Laporta openly support Godall?
Godall: "I have a great feeling of relief"

interview: xavi xirgo and jordi cortada

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Medina confirms he's working on a candidacy

Asked what his role will be in the upcoming presidential elections, former presidential candidate Jordi Medina confirmed last week in an interview with Catalan radio station Rac 1 that he is holding talks trying to form a candidacy ahead of the elections in June:

"We're motivated, we're excited, we have a project, we are talking with several people of the entourage of the club to see if we can link up. The moment will come when we will have to go public and I'm hopeful that we will be able to present a solid project that can be attractive."

Medina elaborated on the plans in an interview with Catalan radio station COM Ràdio on Monday: "We are working on a project and the moment will come when we will have to take a decision and make it public. We hope to make it work and to present an attractive project that the Barcelona fans will like.

Rexach and Minguella are involved? Personally I didn't meet with Charly. I know there have been some reports but I don't know where those were coming from. But it's true that we have been talking with Barcelona people, among which of course Josep Maria Minguella, a close friend of mine, but also others.

We have met, we have talked, but nothing has been decided. I shouldn't necesarily lead a possible candidacy. In all honesty, I have a lot of work and I don't have much time, which would make it difficult for me to head a candidacy. But so I'm working to help to form a list, although we're not in a hurry."

Jordi Medina is a 45-year old Catalan lawyer who was a pre-candidate in the 2003 and 2006 elections but failed twice to collect enough signatures of club members to take part in the final vote. Medina is the chairman of 'Un Crit Valent', an FC Barcelona platform.

Read more:
Minguella and Medina behind Rexach candidacy
Medina will again take part in the elections
Minguella confirms talks with Medina and Majo

Poll result: Should Guardiola stay no matter what?

Guardiola should continue at Barça no matter who the next president is?

Yes 91%
No 9%



total votes: 3238
start date poll: 28 january 2010
poll method: internet, free participation
source: el periódico